Negro Community Center (NCC)

The Negro Community Center at 2035 Coursol Street Montreal, from the Concordia archives, photograph by Owen Rowe

address

3007 Delisle Street, Montreal Qc, and 2035 Coursol Street, Montreal Qc

dates

1930 – 1993

The Negro Community Center, otherwise known as the Charles H. Este Cultural Centre, remained an important location to the afro-descendant community in Montreal for nearly 70 years from 1930-1993. The NCC was initially located in the basement of the Union United Church, at 3007 Delisle Street.

In 1955, the organization moved to the Iverley Community Centre at 2035 Coursol Street, which was formerly the West End Methodist Church. The NCC obtained the deed to the building in 1965. The community center hosted after school care, educational programming, athletics, social events, and concerts.